BLOG

Recent News & Advice by Hampshire Technical

Possible electrical faults in your home that could cause a fire

You may not even realise it, but electrical faults in your home are extremely common and could lead to an electrical fire, all it takes is excessive heat or a single spark to ignite and that could trigger a fire in your property! Hampshire technical have outlined the most common ways that electrical fires could start your home in Eastleigh or the surrounding areas, so that you know what to look out for!

Outdated electrical wiring in your home?

If you live in a house in Eastleigh, or any other surrounding areas such as Southampton or Portsmouth and your home was built more than 20 years ago, then it most likely has an old electrical circuit. This means that the wiring of your home is likely to be outdated, which is a major cause of unprovoked house fires. If this is the case in your home, then it means that your circuit does not have the capacity to meet the necessary energy consumption that our modern devices and appliances need to function,  so you may notice frequent circuit breaker overloads, power outages, or other signs of bad wiring.

In order to alleviate this issue, we'd recommend getting in touch with one of our professionals here at Hampshire Technical. Hire a qualified electrician from our team to inspect your home and replace any old or damaged wiring. Head over to our electrical services page for more information.


Avoid electrical circuit overloads

Plugging too many cords into a single power source is never a good idea. You should try to avoid using a single extension cord to power multiple appliances and electronics at once. Overloading the circuit will wear out the system at a faster rate and could even result in a fire at your home. 

Instead of relying on extension cords, try using multiple outlets and ensuring your appliances have a dedicated circuit. If you don't have enough outlets or dedicated circuits in your home, hire an electrician to install more.

Replace older appliances

Older appliances that are not up to modern standards when it comes to materials, construction, and safety regulations are not fit for use in your home. These outdated appliances are more likely to have loose wiring which could lead to starting a fire in your home.

You should do your bests to carefully inspect any appliances that you have for signs of electrical damage. Any appliances that make strange noises or produce a burning smell should be inspected by an electrical appliance expert. If you are unsure as to whether your electrical appliances have been checked correctly, then give us a call on 02381550050 and we will be more than happy to book in a visit for an electrical inspection.

Check for over-watted light bulbs

Are you finding that your lightbulbs or spotlights are fusing a lot more regularly than you think they should be? The truth is, not all light bulbs and spotlights work for every fixture. It is possible that you have installed a high-wattage bulb in an incompatible lamp is a main cause of electrical fires in the home. If you then cover the bulb with a lampshade if the bulb is over-watted then this could result in a fire, too!

We advise that you always double-check the wattage before installing new light bulbs. If a light fixture gets too hot when in use, then you should think about replacing it. Portable Heaters


Use portable heaters safely

In cold weather, you may want to use  heaters around your home to heat up a particular room quicker than your radiators will. We advise that you be very careful with electric portable heaters, as these appliances can heat up quickly and will ignite any flammable materials that are around them almost immediately. That's why placing a portable heater too close to blankets, curtains, bedding, or sheets may result in a fire.

We propose that you always try to place portable heaters on flat, fire-resistant surfaces, and keep them away from flammable materials when possible. It is crucially important that you never leave a space heater unattended, and always turn the appliance off and unplug it whenever not in use.